Last BR steam workings in or around Bristol?

Robin Summerhill

Re: Last BR steam workings in or around Bristol?

Post by Robin Summerhill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 pm

22A wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:11 pm
It's possible therefore that some steam worked through the area in 66 and early 67.
It's not just possible its certain!

Here is a shot of one of the rakes on Flickr. Although this one is dated April 1965 such sighta were quite frequently seen in the area during 1966 and 1967. Depending on how long it took to clear out Salisbury MPD, where they were all assembled at the end, some could even have run in early 1968.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/14220620756/

But these of course were special workings, not ordinary passenger or greight runs. Andy K has posted that freight work continued into August 1966,citing Colin Maggs' book. Perso nally I would like to see some hard evidence of that as I have never heard of it before, and don't recall the railway press mentioning it either. And it is well documented that there were no servicing facilities on the WT after the end of 1965.

All that said, of course, there was perhaps more unofficial autonomy on the railway in the 60s than there is today. Whilst watering facilities may not have been officially available, it is quite possible that enterprising staff with a hose pipe could top up a tender with water, and a Black 5 or 8F could have run Saltley to Bristol and back on a tenderful of coal.

Post by 76026 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:05 am

Andy Kirkham wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:28 pm
However there is an incident described in the Wild Swan book Somerset & Dorset Swansong by Bob Bunyar (of which I can't find my copy at the moment) which I think will be hard to beat. The book contains an eye-witness account from (I think) January 1967 when 34057 Biggin Hill took over a Portsmouth-Cardiff service at Salisbury and worked it through to Temple Meads.
I wonder whether 34067 have hauled another train back to Salisbury, or returned light engine? Either way I assume the crew would have wanted to take water before returning, so I guess the unofficial hose at Bath Road would have been deployed. (Does anyone recall when the water cranes at TM were disabled /removed?)

I imagine someone in Western Region hierarchy might have been seriously displeased with the Southern for sending a smelly old streamer into their pristine dieselised patch. Given regional rivalries, perhaps someone in the Southern quite enjoyed sending it. Would it have been the shedmaster's decision to allocate 34057 if no servicable diesel was available? Would they have had to discuss this with their local Control?

More generally, does anyone recall a steam loco that had replaced a failed diesel getting stranded at its destination, for want of coal or water?

buxton4472

Post by buxton4472 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 pm

As regards steam in the Bristol area, I have a photo I took of 9F 92212 heading north LE at Charfield in July 1966. It was a Sunday and it had worked an extra freight south that morning, presumably from Washwood Heath and as far as Stoke Gifford. The photo I have shows it tucked in behind a works train in the up loop at Charfield, awaiting the passage of an up express. It may be that the water column there was still operational, in which case it may have taken water before continuing north. This was the last revenue-earning steam I saw personally on that route.