Bristol St Philips Station (MR)

andyhole

Bristol St Philips Station (MR)

Post by andyhole » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 am

How many passenger platforms did this station have?

the green mile

Re: Bristol St Philips Station (MR)

Post by the green mile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

I think there was only one. Robin Oakley's book on Bristol railway stations describes it as single faced.

Wikipaedia states 1 platform.

Photos are not that common. There is one which pops up on a few websites showing 3 members of staff stood on the platform facing the camera. Apparently one of them is my great uncle Edmond Pontin who was transferred to Bath Spa sometime after closure. Unfortunately, I have no idea which one he is.

andyhole

Post by andyhole » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:27 pm

the green mile wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm
I think there was only one. Robin Oakley's book on Bristol railway stations describes it as single faced.

Photos are not that common. There is one which pops up on a few websites showing 3 members of staff stood on the platform facing the camera. Apparently one of them is my great uncle Edmond Pontin who was transferred to Bath Spa sometime after closure. Unfortunately, I have no idea which one he is.
Thanks. I think I've seen said photo on the net

22A

Post by 22A » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:58 am

the green mile wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Several photos on this link, but they all appear to show one platform (with three members of staff).
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=1,2,6

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 pm

The Ivatt 2-6-2 tank 41241 ended up on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway running in lined maroon when I rode behind her in 1972.

Also up there was 43924 an ex Barrow Road 4F now restored to working order. She was down on the West Somerset Railway for a gala a few years ago carrying a 'Pines Express' headboard.

Robin Summerhill

Post by Robin Summerhill » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:19 am

the green mile wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 pm
The Ivatt 2-6-2 tank 41241 ended up on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway running in lined maroon when I rode behind her in 1972.

Also up there was 43924 an ex Barrow Road 4F now restored to working order. She was down on the West Somerset Railway for a gala a few years ago carrying a 'Pines Express' headboard.
You might remember that we had a member on the "old" Archive who went by the name of "Worth Valley Fitter" aka Ralph Ingham. He regularly worked on 43924 on the KWVR. He turned up at our (I think) first meeting at the Barley Mow some years ago as his daughter was at university at Bristol at the time. He also made an offer to an ex-Barrow Road fireman friend of mine that he could fire the engine on the Worth Valley if he wanted to go up there, and he would arrange for a pile of briquettes for him to fire with, in respect to the "old days"

Nothing to do with St Philips station of course, but your post just reminded me of it! :mrgreen:

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:12 am

Indeed Robin. I was hoping that Ralph was still looking in and this might have prompted him to re-engage.

Over the past few weeks the guys I converse with on another forum have been having a daily competition. An old photo from somewhere in the Bristol area, not always directly associated with railways, is thrown up to be identified. Finding the answer is not that difficult but it is usually followed by sometimes lengthy debate on the history of the area.

Yesterday the subject was St Philips Station with 41241 in the platform. Instead of throwing the answer back straight away I offered up 3 clues:

Waterloo, Walsall and 1953. The compiler of this one was completely baffled by the first two.

One question which threw us all is the origin of May Walk. That's the footpath which ran from Bath Road by the Three Lamps down to the back of the depot and over the river via a pathway along the railway bridge.

Roy

Robin Summerhill

Post by Robin Summerhill » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:55 pm

That's a very interesting point about May Walk. I thought there might have been a footbridge across the river before the Bristol Avoiding Line was built,but an 1883 map of the area that I have just looked at online suggests otherwise. Given the immense tidal range on that stretch of water I would have thought a ferry was unlikely.

The St Phillips area was developed in the second half of the 19th century, so the likelihood is that there would have been little need for a footpath before that. My guess would be that it was opened at the same time as the railway bridge.

buxton4472

Post by buxton4472 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 pm

When exactly did St Philips goods close? I seem to recall there were still entries in the 1964 WTT for a train or two daily to the Midlands/north of England. Also, was there a wagon repair shop there. When my father was made redundant as a result of the Midland line Beeching closures he was offered a job at a wagon repair facility and I think he mentioned St Philips. He turned it down as being too much of a trek each day from Charfield especially since the stopping service to Bristol had been axed.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:34 pm

The goods station officially closed in April 1967. The nearby wagon repair facility was probably Bristol Wagon Shops in Days Road. It later became Barton Hill depot which exists today east of Temple Meads.