[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Bristol Railway Archive • View topic - Some People

The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Some People
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:49 pm 
regular

Monday June 3, 12.10pm, Talking Pictures TV.

"Some People", filmed 1962 in Bristol, starring Kenneth More and David Hemmings. Lots of authentic Bristol scenes (and a few painfully inauthentic Bristol accents). Nothing of railway interest except a glimpse of some rails by the Mardyke ferry on the Canons Marsh line but plenty of buses, and some interesting footage at BAC Filton showing a flight by the Bristol 188 experimental jet.

Quite an endearing view of the sixties before they started properly swinging in Philip Larkin's Annus Mirabilis.

Post subject: Re: Some People
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 pm 
regular

I'd never heard of the channel before but, having scrolled through the option on my TV I find that I have it :)

But I can't find details of programmes beyond 31st May, so is this 1210 on Tuesday (ie lunchtime) or 0010 on Tuesday (or indeed Wednesday)?

The Bristolian accent and its variations have been of interest to me for over half a century (I remember the days when a trained ear could tell a north Bristol accent from a south Bristol one), so I shall reserve judgement on the accents until I've watched the show :)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 pm 
regular

If we're going to discuss Bristolian accents, I don't have one (until I leave Bristol it seems), but with a true Bristolian, I can still instantly and very easily tell you they are from North, South, East or West, within the first few words usually.

My favourite Bristolian phrase? "Knocked 'er up up the Zerva Tree" :D

See if you can get 'im? :D :D

Some People is a fairly mediocre film in my view, but the place shots are indeed of great interest nowadays. I particularly like the opening sequences along St Annes Road between the Board Mill buildings and the No 16 bus (let's not start that again Robin!!) :)

Some of it is also shot in The Gin Palace on Old Market. The Hotwells of my childhood is rather painful to recall the loss of nowadays, considering what it has sadly become.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:53 pm 
regular

Referring to the Radio Times it s just after midday on Monday.

The film was commissioned to publicise the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme and Kenneth More waived his fee on this account. Consequently it does seem a bit quaint nowadays, but all the same I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 am 
regular

North, South, East, West???? I was born and raised centrally in City Road, St Pauls and went to St Barnabas School in my important years. Which category do I come under Jules?

I hate those books on 'Brizzle' which claim to reflect the true Bristolian accent. I think they are a totally OTT p***take and don't come near to reflecting the actual dialect.

The Bristol L is a truism - it's not just a bus!

My favourite expression: Thees bin a put un wur thee casn't back'n asn't?

Roy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:21 am 
regular

My interest in this topic was rekindled a couple of years ago when I arrived at my usual B&B in Cape Town where I go to escape much of the UK winter. There was a Brit already there and the moment I saw him his face looked vaguely familiar. When I said to him: “Have we me before?” he said “I very much doubt it,” but his accent suggested otherwise. It was north east Bristol from the area where I grew up. Further conversation revealed that he spent his childhood in Soundwell and now lives in Wick, whilst I spent my childhood in Staple Hill. As we were much the same age it was highly likely indeed that we had met before, albeit over 50 years ago. Small world, innit?

Accents also change over the years, and I have felt this has a lot to do with the influence of radio and TV, and also the fact that people are perhaps much more mobile than they were three or four generations ago. Accents can also die out; if anyone recalls the BBC series on the S&D (three shows marking the 25th anniversary of closure) they may recall that former Bath driver Donald Beale was interviewed at length, and his accent is rarely if ever heard in Bath these days.

Similarly, when I first moved to North Wiltshire in 1980 there were a few old men (75+) who spoke with an accent that few other people were using then, and nobody is using now. For some reason it was only men, not women. I never did come up with a theory for that oddity!

Finally, Jules, if you are referring to the “no.33 bus thread,” that kept us going for two years, March 2013 to February 2015, got 108 postings and has been read 34,730 times (just checked :) ). The forum was much more active back then when we talked to each other a lot more :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am 
regular

I haven't heard a Bristol L for years. My impression is that it's died out completely; can anyone report otherwise?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 am 
regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:24 pm 
regular

If you listen to general conversation these days the accent is more than likely to be eastern European in origin. The local dialect has definitely diminished probably for the reasons which Robin has suggested. It still gives me a warm feeling when I hear a youngster in particular say that they had a good ideal. I'm not so sure that I ever heard anyone refer to Americal. I think that was contrived to fit in with the format but people certainly used umbrellals when it rained. Spell checker obviously doesn't like the extra l.

BTW when I moved to N Wilts (Swindon) in the early 80's I found a good proportion of accents there were either Cockney, Welsh or Polish. My neighbour was an exception. He was a Jewish refugee from Latvia.

Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:34 am 
regular

Referring back to the late lamented Donald Beale, I thought he was a Branksome man, so would he have spoken with a Dorset accent?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 pm 
regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 pm 
regular

Thanks Robin. I (re) watched the programme while sitting in Aldi’s car park waiting for SWMBO. An excellent use of time!