The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Main Line Steam
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 am 
regular

I see in the news this morning on teletext that Network Rail are threatening to ban Flying Scotsman from the main line due to the chaos caused by enthusiasts and photographers trespassing on the lineside to secure that special shot. There will always be those out there who think that the rules are put in place by jobsworths and don't understand why they are there so can be arbitrarily ignored. The few who spoil it for the rest!

Roy

Post subject: Re: Main Line Steam
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 am 
regular

Quite agree Roy. Pain in the proverbial!

My personal gripe with photographers is their jealous guarding of their "work", regardless of the fact they neither contribute to nor have any interest in the subjects of their attentions.

You try using one of their photographs of one of your own locos somewhere, or getting even the smallest donation out of them for the privilege of putting your asset in their picture! Or even worse, actually suggesting they might like to spend some time coming to help with maintenance and upkeep. Impossible!!

If we had a £1 for every time one of our locos has appeared for free in somebody else's photograph, which they then go on to make money out of, DEPG would probably have a fleet bigger than British Rail's!

I might start sending small bills out every time I see any of our locos appear in a picture and see how many get paid or how many a following legal demand will turn into a picture of some empty railway line :D