The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm 
watcher

Hi folks,
Coming right along with a model railway based on Lawrence Hill, have received much help from this forum in the past, cheers to all for that. I have an opportunity to get a Q1 wartime utility loco in good shape and wonder if it`s just too unlikely to have been around Bristol. I just saw a picture of one hauling a Bournemouth to Swansea train through Broadstone near Bournemouth , would that have routed through Bristol ?
Slightly unrelated, I was at Lawrence Hill in September last and excited to see the old relief lines being relaid from Temple Meads to Patchway, there`s very little railway activity here in Nova Scotia, great to see it flourishing back in Blighty.
............. Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 am 
regular

Hi Bill

It is very likely that a train from the Southern through to South Wales would have been routed via Bristol but I suspect that it would have had a loco swap at Salisbury. Regular Portsmouth - Cardiff services in the 1960's were formed of SR Bulleid stock but generally had a WR Castle on the front by the time they reached Bristol.

The tracks recently relaid from Bristol up to Filton are actually the main lines not the reliefs. The reliefs have always been there ever since the 19th century when the route was opened. The mains had a relatively short life from when quadroupling took place until they were taken up in the 1980's (I think). Recent events created the new word 'requadroupling' for the dictionary.

I always thought that Lawrence Hill would make an interesting model but the goods yard does create issues with width. Good scenic breaks at either end with the various overbridges.

Roy