The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:34 pm 
regular

Back to the thread, and having looked at my 1967-1968 Bristol Section B2 I can confirm that the motorail services all took the Midland route via Mangotsfield. In fact, by this time ALL passenger trains on the Birmingham - Bristol route were booked via Mangotsfield, including the winter Sunday Severn Tunnel diversions. I do not possess the 1966 WTT for the relevant route but back in 1965 there were still about ten class 1 passenger trains in each direction taking the ex-GW route from/to Yate South Jcn, including the Devonian as Robin has alluded to, and also the traditional Wolverhampton Low Level/ Birmingham Snow Hill - West Country services which were still coming down the Honeybourne line, often behind steam (the last year). I can only assume that with everything diesel hauled by 1967, with fewer summer Saturday trains than previously and with the demise of the Bath Green Park locals, the Mangotsfield route had plenty of paths available and it was quicker too.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:34 pm 
regular

buxton4472 wrote:
Back to the thread, and having looked at my 1967-1968 Bristol Section B2 I can confirm that the motorail services all took the Midland route via Mangotsfield. In fact, by this time ALL passenger trains on the Birmingham - Bristol route were booked via Mangotsfield, including the winter Sunday Severn Tunnel diversions. I do not possess the 1966 WTT for the relevant route but back in 1965 there were still about ten class 1 passenger trains in each direction taking the ex-GW route from/to Yate South Jcn, including the Devonian as Robin has alluded to, and also the traditional Wolverhampton Low Level/ Birmingham Snow Hill - West Country services which were still coming down the Honeybourne line, often behind steam (the last year). I can only assume that with everything diesel hauled by 1967, with fewer summer Saturday trains than previously and with the demise of the Bath Green Park locals, the Mangotsfield route had plenty of paths available and it was quicker too.

Many thanks for checking buxton4472. Very much appreciated.
Kind regards
Mark