The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LNER V2 in Bristol
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:11 pm 
regular

Yesterday I posted a couple of shots on Flickr of V2 no 60800 on its jaunt to Bristol back in 2001. In the caption I said that I wasn't aware of any V2 ever reaching Bristol in normal service, but was happy to be proved wrong.

Someone has posted some scant details in reply as follows:

"There was a discussion on the RMWeb site some years ago about a V2 making it to Bristol instead of being changed at Birmingham, it was refused any further progress beyond Temple Meads and sent packing back north by Western Region people."

Do any of our learned friends here know any more about it?

The photographs are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/47157229281/

Post subject: Re: LNER V2 in Bristol
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:11 pm 
regular

In "Mendips Engineman", Pete Smith lists every class of loco to run over the S&D after 1949. No LNER type is listed.
However, he does mention that B1s worked ambulance trains over that line during WW2.
If B1s worked to this general area, it's possible other LNER classes did during the war years.
Do we have anyone aged 85+ on this forum who could confirm please?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm 
regular

22A wrote:
If B1s worked to this general area, it's possible other LNER classes did during the war years.
Do we have anyone aged 85+ on this forum who could confirm please?

B1s worked to Bristol quite regularly when my interest in railways was kindled in September 1962. I have photographs of two of them (61167 and 61169) both in Bristol on the same day, 20th Juky 1963 (although it would be moe accurate to say I got a photgraphic blur of both of them, which is why the photos haven't been uploaded to Flickr) :)

There wad also a report of a K2 making it to Bristol in 1963 or 1964 (can't remember which,and I never personally saw it anyway)

But I'm still hopeful that someone has some concrete information about this 'ere alleged V2! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:04 pm 
regular

62005 rolled through Lawrence Hill at the head of a mixed freight one evening. No record of the date.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 pm 
regular

Hi all,
I have seen a photo of a V2 on Barrow Road.
The LNER locos which worked ambulance trains were class B12, apparently selected for having a fairly wide route availability. (of course, B1s and/or other classes might have done some as well).
Will try to follow up with more detail including 62005 asap.
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:57 pm 
regular

Another LNER loco to visit Barrow Road shed was K1 62060 which I photographed around 62/63. I will try and upload it later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 pm 
regular

V2 60954 arrived Bristol on Monday 16th November 1959. The "Railway Observer" stated it had worked a freight to Westerleigh then light to Bristol, while "Trains Illustrated" said it worked the 12.48 York - Bristol.
It went back north next day as a light engine.
A few weeks later, 11th December, 60839 arrived in the Bristol area "light" and seems was retained for a week at Barrow Road, returning north on the 18th.

A lot of info on the WW2 ambulance trains is contained in the booklet "It can now be revealed" published in 1945. Some info was also recorded in Railway Observer notes in 1944 and some in the SLS magazine. I am not able to quote dates but B12s were prominent.

Sorry but cannot help with the K2 sighting at present