The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 pm 
regular

Location: Philadelphia, PA (on leave from FGW-land at the moment!)
Brilliant - thanks for that guys. Was the same code used for up as down workings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 pm 
watcher

get_that_bus_out wrote:
Brilliant - thanks for that guys. Was the same code used for up as down workings?

The 'visca versa' in my posting was a clue. :wink: In other words, yes is the answer to your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm 
regular

Martin Street wrote:
get_that_bus_out wrote:

The 'visca versa' in my posting was a clue. :wink: In other words, yes is the answer to your question.

Doesn't that mean that you could have Bristol-Bath and Bath-Bristol services passing each other, both running with the headcode 2B93 (which would seem to defeat the point of having identifying codes)? Or was the service infrequent enough that there was only one local train on the line at any time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm 
watcher

WR Tim wrote:
Martin Street wrote:
get_that_bus_out wrote:

Doesn't that mean that you could have Bristol-Bath and Bath-Bristol services passing each other, both running with the headcode 2B93 (which would seem to defeat the point of having identifying codes)? Or was the service infrequent enough that there was only one local train on the line at any time?

I know what you are saying but it was a route code not an individual train code. To pour oil on the fire, the through trains from Bournemouth West to Bristol TM were also 2B93 but the through trains in the opposite direction were 2C93, there were two through trains a day in each direction with a loco change at Green Park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:53 pm 
regular

Thanks Martin, should have read your reply a bit more carefully! Am I remembering correctly that the down Pines ran as 1O95? I've got a feeling that the up working was 1M04 or 1M05 but have never seen any photos of a train carrying this code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 pm 
watcher

get_that_bus_out wrote:
Thanks Martin, should have read your reply a bit more carefully! Am I remembering correctly that the down Pines ran as 1O95? I've got a feeling that the up working was 1M04 or 1M05 but have never seen any photos of a train carrying this code.

Pines Express as per the Summer 61 WTT

1O95 10.30 Manchester-Bournemouth West
1M04 09.45 Bournemouth West-Manchester.

And while looking this up I came across these SO gems, whoever thought these up!

1O92 07.00 Cleethorpes-Exmouth
1E59 10.40 Exmouth to Cleethorpes

The Up train was booked off Green Park at 2pm and the Down train arrived there 2 minutes later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm 
regular

Maybe they're not all that crazy - they could have been designed to serve two passenger flows: holiday traffic between the Midlands and Cleethorpes/Exmouth in both directions? After all, to take another example I don't suppose there are a huge number of passengers on a Cardiff - Portsmouth or Milford Haven - Manchester service that make the through journey, but both tend to be pretty busy throughout because of the different traffic flows en route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 am 
regular

I have a photograph of a Peak (D31) in the Bath MPD section of the new site which bears the headcode 2B93.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 am 
regular

Roger wrote:
I have a photograph of a Peak (D31) in the Bath MPD section of the new site which bears the headcode 2B93.

As I understand it Peaks regularly worked the locals between Bristol and Bath Green Park as an infill turn after arriving from the north before they returned homeward.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:48 pm 
regular

Can anyone help please. I have a photo of a Temple Meads bound train with a 1V34 headcode on a Class 47 [D1572 I believe ] passing Barrow Road coaling plant circa 1964/5.
I cannot find details of 1V34 but am aware 1V33 was a Cornishman headcode. Could this be a relief to it?
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:08 pm 
regular

Hi Robin,

The closest timetable I have to hand is 18th April 1966 to 5 March 1967. 1V33 was still the headcode of the Cornishman 0702 Bradford to Penzance, 1V34 seems to be Saturdays Only summer working, 0900 Sheffield to Paignton. The Cornishman got to Bristol East at 1206, 1V34 followed it down from Mangotsfield and made it to Bristol East at 1213.

I hope that helps.

Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm 
regular

Back to the query regarding 1V36. If the photo was taken in 1967 - 1968, this headcode applied to the 07:08 Derby - Cardiff. If this was the case, the I suspect the photo referred to could be of the Peak sporting the wrong headcode for the train it was hauling into Bristol. It is however possible that if the photo was taken in the mid-60s then 1V36 was the 07:07 Bradford F.Sq. - Bristol service, arriving in Bristol around 12:45 pm. I have numerous sightings of this train passing Charfield on various dates around 12:23 pm.

As to three or four characters being displayed on a steam loco, a train register I hold from Charfield signal-box dated 1964, shows (in the remarks column on the down page) times at which passenger and parcels trains were reported ex Ashchurch and Gloucester. Although in some cases such entries were abbreviated to 'Corn', 'Dev' or even the more cryptic 'M' (down Newcastle mail), 'P' (parcels) or 'X' (generic express), in general they appeared as V31, V33, V38 etc, omitting the train class ('1'). The preceding '1' would have been considered superfluous because only passenger and parcels trains were reported to the box by Gloucester control. However, as per LMS practice, the headcodes carried (if at all and mainly on Summer Saturdays) by North-East to South-West steam-hauled expresses were always relatively small 4-character pasted codes as per the roller-blind diesel headcodes. (Prior to summer 1961, these would have taken the form 'M319' with the M signifying Midland lines (remember that the Birmingham - Bristol Midland route was LMR until 1957) with the '319' being a unique identifier for the particular train). It is interesting that the WR introduced the standard 4-character headcode for its own trains before the inter-regional trains from the NER/ER/LMR but of course their ex-GW locos continued to carry the headcode in three-character fashion.