[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Bristol Railway Archive • View topic - Motorail Services via Mangotsfield

The Bristol Railway Archive

This forum is for anyone to post their thoughts and questions about the railways of Bristol or this website. All feedback is most welcome :)
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:04 pm 
regular

Hi,
I've just joined the forum and hello to everyone.

Back on Thursday 1st June 1967 my family and I travelled overnight on 1N37 21.00 Newton Abbot to Newcastle Motorail service throughout and from enquiries made since here in Exeter, I understand that Class 45 Peak D47 worked the train from Newton Abbot.

Is anyone able to confirm if D47 worked this Motorail service north from Bristol TM and would the train have travelled via the Mangotsfield Line?

I fully appreciate that this could be a long shot, but I would be very grateful for any help offered.

Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:42 pm 
regular

Hello Mark and welcome to our very long running (and friendliest ever) forum!

I can't comment specifically about D47 on your given train / date, but I can say both your statements back in 1967 would have been very possible and very likely. On that date, nearly all of the Northern services took the Mangotsfield route and very many, if not nearly all, were "Peak" hauled.

- Jules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am 
regular

Hi Jules,

Many thanks for your reply and comment regarding services for the north running via Mangotsfield in the late 1960's.

Would I be correct in saying the cord between Westerleigh West Junction and Yate South Junction was not authorized for normal use by any passenger trains, due to signalling and/or condition of track, until closure of the Mangotsfield route on 29th December 1969?

If anybody does have access to notes taken at Bristol on the evening of 1st June 1967 and can either PM me or reply via the forum, this would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:48 am 
regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm 
regular

Hi Robin,
Thanks for your reply and interesting to read about GWR/BR Western Region services.

My main interest here is BR era services to/from north of England and Scotland which ran via Mangotsfield.

Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm 
regular

I’m back in the UK now so I can start digging! :)

Whilst I appreciate that the main focus of this thread is he motor rail services via Mangotsfield, that diversion into the passenger trains that used the Westerleigh to Yate chord intrigued me. As I said earlier, the “Devonian” was shown in the 1959 WTT as going that way, but there is of course the facility to look at some WTTs online, helpfully put there by Michael Clemens http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?tok=34

The Bristol to Charfield WTT for 1960/61 is here: http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=557 (download 03 contains the relevant table).

Interestingly (to me at least) this shows that in that timetable only a couple of parcels trains in the down direction used the link on weekdays. On Sundays, however, quite a few trains went that way, and all of them were on Severn Tunnel diversions, as it was commonplace in those days to close the tunnel on Sundays for maintenance.

Clearly the GWR tradition still stood firm by sending GWR trains that way 12 years after nationalisation!

Another thing that the WTT shows is that almost all of them sopped at Stapleton Road, showing the relative importance of that station back then, which it has now lost. As an aside, I see that there has been no attempt to reinstate the other two platforms there with the quadrupling, so it is not getting it’s old status back any time soon…

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm 
regular

Stapleton Road was de-staffed in 1966 I believe, only to be re-staffed a couple of years later (1970/71) as it had to be used as a major station once again when the Bristol MAS project disrupted Temple Meads too much for trains to get in.

Before the Bristol & South Wales Direct line was opened between Swindon and Stoke Gifford in about 1905, Stapleton Road was the only calling point in Bristol for nearly all London to South Wales trains. There was still sufficient traffic in the 1930s for the whole Filton Junction - BTM - Parson Street to be quadrupled, the reduced in the 1980s and re-quadrupled in 2018. Interestingly, from early days, Rhubarb Curve was quadruple track with the Temple Meads route from Dr Day Junction being a bit of an offshoot. Remember the Midland trains were still using their own Mangotsfield line all this time ....

Competition Time: Who can give the name of the long gone pub on the platform at Stapleton Road Station and what year did it close? (Clue: I can remember drinking in there - but not necessarily legally!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 pm 
regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm 
regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 pm 
regular

Does anyone have a copy of the BR Western Region Section B2 Working Timetable for the 1967-68 timetable, which includes the Midland Route between Bristol TM and Gloucester?
Regards
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm 
regular

Sorry to hijack this thread :D but the mention of a pub in Stapleton Road caught my eye. I recently came across a collection of photos on Bristol Museum's website sponsored by Georges of pubs in the area taken in the 1930's. I have no idea how many (if any) are still trading but I wonder how many forum correspondents remember the following in or near Stapleton Road:-

Sea Horse (32 Stapleton Rd)
Armoury (132 Stapleton Rd)
Railway Inn (380 Stapleton Rd)
Black Swan (438 Stapleton Rd)
South Wales Railway Tavern (32 Belmont St off Stapleton Rd).

Looks like thirst was not a problem in the area!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:50 am 
regular

I remember The Armoury which was actually a bus ride away from Stapleton Road station. It is quite a long road running from St Judes through to Eastville. I used to use The Sugar Loaf in St Marks Road. It was at the bottom of the footpath which descended from the main station entrance on platform 4. When my grandad became very immobile I would drive him round there for a few pints of IPA when they opened at midday on Sundays. No idea if it is still a going concern.

Definitely drifted way off topic here! Perhaps this should be split off into a separate thread covering pubs close to the railway or with a railway theme. The Rhubarb Tavern has to be near the top of the list.

Roy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 pm 
regular

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:59 pm 
regular