Posit (a.k.a. Portishead for non-Bristolians).

C2759

Posit (a.k.a. Portishead for non-Bristolians).

Post by C2759 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:38 am

Someone has just told me that Network Rail have recently quoted the cost of re-opening the Portishead branch as being £200 million.

Is that information correct?

How did they get to that big a figure? Does anyone know what is in it?

Re: Posit (a.k.a. Portishead for non-Bristolians).

Post by 76026 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 am

Not sure I've seen the £200 million figure- but I haven't been looking for it.

Out of area, I did see that Network Rail has made planning application for a single platform station at Soham in Cambridgeshire (to accomodate 4-car trains) at an estimated cost of £18.6m. There will be a footbridge to accomodate a footpath that crosses the line.

That makes £200m for Posit look rather costly. I guess land for the station at Posit will be expensive, as will the traffic disruptions while it is built.

Rivercider

Post by Rivercider » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am

On the Portishead Branch the current signalling is only suitable for freight traffic so will need upgrading. I believe the track itself will also need renewal or replacement. If they had got on with this 10 years ago it surely would not have been this expensive!
I had hoped to ride on the branch on the first day of service, and have been waiting since Richard Cottrell MEP gave a talk in about 1984 on the Avon Metro. I hope I live long enough!

cheers

carpetcone

Post by carpetcone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm

76026 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 am
Not sure I've seen the £200 million figure- but I haven't been looking for it.

Out of area, I did see that Network Rail has made planning application for a single platform station at Soham in Cambridgeshire (to accomodate 4-car trains) at an estimated cost of £18.6m. There will be a footbridge to accomodate a footpath that crosses the line.

That makes £200m for Posit look rather costly. I guess land for the station at Posit will be expensive, as will the traffic disruptions while it is built.
The plans show the station to be the Bristol side of Quays avenue so no railway crossing the road at all.
Hopefully, any construction issues will not affect existing road traffic in the area.
The cost of this project has spiralled since it was first announced and the main reasons for the project, bad traffic queues to and from Bristol are largely a thing of the past now anyway. With more people working at home, it will be the "green" budget that pushes it through.

Andy Kirkham

Post by Andy Kirkham » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 pm

carpetcone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm

The plans show the station to be the Bristol side of Quays avenue so no railway crossing the road at all.
Hopefully, any construction issues will not affect existing road traffic in the area.
The cost of this project has spiralled since it was first announced and the main reasons for the project, bad traffic queues to and from Bristol are largely a thing of the past now anyway. With more people working at home, it will be the "green" budget that pushes it through.
When Quays Avenue was originally built there was an awareness that the railway could reopen, but it was assumed that if it did, it could cross Quays Avenue on the level and come to a terminus in the vicinity of Waitrose. But since then, new level crossings have become a complete No-No, so the station now has to be less central than it could have been.