Cylinder Draincock Video Woes!

Devonian

Cylinder Draincock Video Woes!

Post by Devonian » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Odd title for a post maybe but bear with me.....

I was at Bath Spa this afternoon videoing Mayflower departing for East Depot when the message "ERROR. RECORDING STOPPED" came up, so the slight slip which would have been nice to have captured was missed.

I am wondering whether the camcorder (a Panasonic HDC - HS300) objects to the brilliant whiteness of the steam from the draincocks or the volume of sound. If memory serves the problem has happened before.

I wonder if any forum folk have had a similar experience?

the green mile

Re: Cylinder Draincock Video Woes!

Post by the green mile » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 am

Sorry, can't offer any advice on that question but I was just thinking about the last time I saw a B1 in our patch. IIRC we used to see them at Barrow Road occasionally at weekends in the early 60's possibly from Canklow shed (Rotherham). Or has Mayflower visited us in more recent times?

Roy

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Robin Summerhill

Post by Robin Summerhill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 pm

the green mile wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 am
Sorry, can't offer any advice on that question but I was just thinking about the last time I saw a B1 in our patch. IIRC we used to see them at Barrow Road occasionally at weekends in the early 60's possibly from Canklow shed (Rotherham). Or has Mayflower visited us in more recent times?

Roy
Going off on the same tangent as Roy, it wasn't only at weekends that B1s could turn up. The first one I ever saw, indeed the first LNER engine I ever saw, was 61033 going into Staple Hill tunnel heading towards Bristol with a freight, one lunchtime when I was going back to primary school (I always went home for lunch) - this would have been between September 1962 and July 1963. The memory suggests it was a Tuesday but, being a schoolday, it definitely wasn't a weekend! One particular weekend, 20th July 1963, there were two in Bristol, 61167 and 61169 - these two were quite frequent visitors.

Looking at my allocations database, it appears that the depots they came from were usually Canklow as Roy says, or Staveley Barrow Hill, and two of these three locomotives were formerly allocated to Sheffield Darnall before it lost its steam allocation when it was rebuilt as a diesel depot in late 1962. I suspect from that that they were being used to cover diesel failures or special workings for which no diesel was available.

I very much doubt that 61306 ever got to Bristol in BR service because it was a Hull Dairycoates engine for many years, and was transferred to Bradford Low Moor for the last few months of service in 1967. It was used there to work the Bradford portions of London Kings Cross trains onwards from Leeds. I have a particularly lousy photograph of it working the Bradford portion of the Yorkshire Pullman into Leeds in late summer 1967 - so lousy that it is only the caption that can identify it :D

buxton4472

Post by buxton4472 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Still on the subject of B1s on the Midland line, looking back through my scant remaining records three B1s appeared in succession within a 15 minute time-frame at Charfield on Saturday 13 July 1963. One of them (61194) was on the down Gloucester - Bristol (2B74) stopper that appeared at Charfield around 13:25 (SO). The other two (61394 and 61138) were on northbound expresses (1E69 at 13:16 and 1E68 at 13:30 respectively). I also recall one non-summer Saturday when that local and its Bristol - Gloucester oppo (2H74) which was booked to call a few minutes afterwards both had B1s on them. Because the down train was a few minutes late, the two B1s were in the station together.