Steamy photos anyone?

buxton4472

Steamy photos anyone?

Post by buxton4472 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:51 am

A few of you of a certain age may be interested in photos I have recently uploaded to a new Flickr account. You can view them here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190629649@N06/albums

I hope you can find them enjoyable, despite the very amateurish attempts using a cheap camera!

the green mile

Re: Steamy photos anyone?

Post by the green mile » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:50 am

Not much wrong with those so thank you for sharing.

Regarding the raft of withdrawn southern locos, I'm sure I read somewhere that they were not allowed through the Severn Tunnel en-route to South Wales so had to go the long way round.

Roy

buxton4472

Re: Steamy photos anyone?

Post by buxton4472 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:14 am

Regarding the raft of withdrawn southern locos, I'm sure I read somewhere that they were not allowed through the Severn Tunnel en-route to South Wales so had to go the long way round.
That's correct Roy. I think there was always a fear that bearings would run hot which could pose a real problem 2 miles in. (There is an entry in a 1964/5 train register I have where a loco had to be detached at Charfield after running hot). The convoys were also limited to a speed of 25mph. That would mean they would have needed a point-to-point time allowance of approx 25 mins between Pilning down loop and Severn Tunnel Junction so line capacity would have been more of an issue going that way. I suppose Sundays were a good day to send scrapped locos - good overtime possibilities, reduced traffic.