Spotting in those Early Years

the green mile

Re: Spotting in those Early Years

Post by the green mile » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am

Devonian wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:41 pm
Sorry this is not directly railway related but Andy Kirkham mentioned a chap named David Langley. I recall somebody of that name being in the 77th Redland Cub Scout Pack c. 1967 -69 which used to meet in a hall off Hurle Road off Whiteladies Road. If I have the correct person I wish I'd known he was a railway enthusiast!
Perhaps we should start a 'Friends Reunited' thread!

Andy Kirkham

Post by Andy Kirkham » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:14 am

Devonian wrote:
Sorry this is not directly railway related but Andy Kirkham mentioned a chap named David Langley. I recall somebody of that name being in the 77th Redland Cub Scout Pack c. 1967 -69 which used to meet in a hall off Hurle Road off Whiteladies Road. If I have the correct person I wish I'd known he was a railway enthusiast!
I think it's quite likely to be the same person. He lived in Apsley Road in a basement flat and, I think, had a younger brother named Timmy; his dad worked at BAC in Filton. He went to the Cathedral School with me and went on to study law at Oxford, but after that I lost touch. He didn't seem so railway-oriented once he was at secondary school, so perhaps he wouldn't have been quite so keen when you knew him.

My son went to the 77th Cubs a few years ago and they're still in the same premises. And it seemed to me as if the place hadn't been decorated since 1967.

Did you go to St John's primary by any chance? I was there 1960-67
Last edited by Andy Kirkham on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Andy Kirkham

Post by Andy Kirkham » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 am

buxton4472 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 pm
I bought it back in the summer. It is, as you say, a cracking volume with a wealth of photos of places I know very well. Well worth the thirty quid being asked. There are a couple of inaccuracies I found but nothing that detracts from a very comprehensive coverage of the Midland in Gloucestershire. Interestingly, one of the inaccuracies involves the date assigned to the two photos on p.383. I was up in the signal-box that day and it was a Sunday not a Thursday, which explains the steam-hauled mineral trains - two of a number of 'extra' freights booked.
have you contacted Neil Parkhouse to tell him? These books seem to be a labour of love for him and I get the impression that he welcomes correspondence. Given the books' popularity there might be a second edition that could incorporate corrections.

buxton4472

Post by buxton4472 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes Andy, I have.

There was another supposition he made regarding the Grange-hauled express on p.387 which I disagree with. He suggests the reporting number (which he deciphered as 8O63) indicated a train bound for the Southern Region. I am certain this is incorrect and under magnification the reporting number actually reads '806' in the format of the older-style WR system. Looking back through old WTTs, train 806 was a Friday night departure from the West Country to Wolverhampton LL, It's more than likely the loco was coaled and watered at what was 84A shed (Wolverhampton Stafford Road) before being dispatched south again with a morning holiday express back to the West Country. This places the photo at about 1959-1960 when this format of reporting numbers would have still been used, Incidentally, it's wonderful to see the 'Royal Scot' locos which plied the route in the early 60s well represented because I cannot remember ever seeing one through Charfield! A case of right place at the wrong time.

Devonian

Post by Devonian » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Andy Kirkham wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:14 am
Devonian wrote:
I think it's quite likely to be the same person. He lived in Apsley Road in a basement flat and, I think, had a younger brother named Timmy; his dad worked at BAC in Filton. He went to the Cathedral School with me and went on to study law at Oxford, but after that I lost touch. He didn't seem so railway-oriented once he was at secondary school, so perhaps he wouldn't have been quite so keen when you knew him.

My son went to the 77th Cubs a few years ago and they're still in the same premises. And it seemed to me as if the place hadn't been decorated since 1967.

Did you go to St John's primary by any chance? I was there 1960-67
As I lived in Worrall Road I really should have gone to St. John's Primary, but I was sent to Westbury Park Primary. I was shedded there from 1962 - 69 before being transferred to Bristol Grammar (freight link!).

Post by 76026 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 pm

You mentioned seeing Mallard at Temple Meads... on OLD BRISTOL UK (youtube) there's a photo at 2 mins 36 of Mallard at TM with an admiring crowd, including some boys. Have you seen it?

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Not seen that one before. It looks like the return trip from the current platform 9. I was there on arrival which would have been at the opposite end, now platform 10.

Of course we had a re-enactment of this shot about 10 years ago when 'Sir Nigel' got into an awful slip, damaging the railhead so badly that the platform had to be taken out of use until the p/way boys were able to replace a section of rail. Around about the same time that a young lad was injured at Yate by a lump of flying coal due to a badly loaded A4 tender. Possibly the same loco.

Some great footage there on Youtube of easily recognisable locations. I'm intrigued by the Routemaster on service 23 to Trafalgar Square at 1m 30s Don't recognise that one at all!

Roy