School railway clubs

22A

School railway clubs

Post by 22A » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm

In this forum's previous incarnation, there was a thread about school railway clubs.
Quite a few people mentioned the Cathedral School. I went to Redcliffe 1966 - 72 and we had a railway club in my first year, but it died a death in 1967. By 1970 there was less than six of us still interested in railways.
May 1967 we went to Weymouth for the day to see some Bulleids before it was too late. We even got all of us into the cab of a MN when it arrived from W'loo.
Any others have memories to share?

Re: School railway clubs

Post by 76026 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 pm

I was one of the contributors to that thread. I was at Bristol Grammar around the time you were at Redcliffe. Our railway club ran for at least my first four years and I can’t remember after that. We had a model railway in a cellar and in my first few years there were several shed bashing trips.I remember:

-Birmingham sheds including Tyseley and Saltley

-Salisbury Bournemouth, and Weymouth

-Nine Elms followed by a ride on the Bournemouth Belle; we were meant to catch an earlier train, but that had a diesel at the front. The sixth former who organized the trip found out that the Belle was to be steam hauled, so we each paid the 10 shillings supplement and travelled on that. Our leader got a footplate ride and the rest of us were envious! (Two of my non-BGS friends were themselves a bit envious of my trip, so that day they cycled to Cashmore’s scrapyard at Newport where they were allowed on the footplate of the steam shunter and were given a go on the regulator. It was some years before I got my hands on a regulator, and that was in the last year of Kilmersdon).

-Crewe South (where we saw an A4 minus tender, and the Duke of Gloucester minus Caprotti valves and cyinders), Patricroft, and perhaps another Manchester shed. This trip coincided with a guard's strike in the Manchester area so we had to travel to the shed(s) by bus instead of by local trains. Our booked train back to Bristol was cancelled and we travelled back very late, my very first experience of strip lighting in a carriage.I remember being unimpressed-at that time I regarded anything new as an enemy of steam.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:34 am

I seem to remember we discussed this topic at some length on the previous forum. Shame it was all lost.

I was in the BGS Railway Club almost from its inception which would have been 1964 or 65. Our first outing was down to Highbridge where we joined a short service along the Somerset & Dorset to Templecombe behind a Mickey Mouse tank. From there we continued to Bournemouth Central behind a standard class 5 followed by a shed bash there. We returned via Bath Green Park.

I was also on the Patricroft trip and we also visited Stockport Edgeley, Buxton, Westhouses to name but a few but I can't remember if that was all on the same day. Yes. we were rather late getting home from Manchester.

I can certainly recall hurtling up the relatively new M6 in a Midland Red coach and seeing a train cross ahead of us with the newly painted XP64 blue and grey coaches.

Roy

Devonian

Post by Devonian » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:04 pm

I was at Bristol Grammar 1969 -76 and a member of the Railway Society. I too was interested to follow the thread on the previous site.

I particularly remember a History Master, Phil Walkeley, who used to arrange Railway Society trips and produce duplicated historical notes for them. Does anybody remember him? I don't know if he was an enthusiast or did it "cos he had to", but I owe him a debt of gratitude for fostering an interest which still gives me pleasure 50 or so years later.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:11 am

I left in 1969 to take up my railway apprenticeship rather than progress into the sixth form. I don't think our head Dr McKay was terribly impressed with my choice of career path but it served me well through to retirement. He certainly seemed to look down his nose one day when he asked me if there was any news from British Railways about my application.

From inception I think the master who oversaw the railway society was a Mr Kimber. The senior boy who appears to have done a lot of the organising was Russell Kilvington.

Seeking sanctuary down in the cellar with the model railway club after lunch had an added bonus. It was a way of escaping the school bullies who were very prevalent at that time.

Roy

Post by 76026 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Yes, I remember Phil Walkeley - and I think I remember him coming on some of our after-the end of BR steam trips- possibly to S.Wales freight lines? Now you mention teachers, I recall that Mike Drew accompanied us on some of our shed bashes- certainly the Birmingham one. In my last post I said that was to Tyseley and Saltley, but I think it might have been Oxley & Saltley. I'll have to dig out those old notebooks...

I remember Russell Kilvington too; he was the 'bigger boy' who got the footplate ride on the Bournemouth Belle. That particular trip was chosen by vote in a society meeting- the choices were

-Nine Elms and a steam hauled ride to Bournemouth
-the Isle of Wight
-Calais for SNCF steam (There was no way my parent would have let me go to France shed bashing!

I think John Godfrey also had a part in in organising some of the trips, and in 1970-72 ish Ian Mortimer organised some track bashing trips- a brake van trip in South Wales lurks in a hazy corner of my memory

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 pm

We definitely covered Saltley, Tyseley and Oxley but not necessarily all on the same trip. I think Saltley was a roundhouse without the roof. I can recall an old photo of a class 31 in there. Tyseley was more typically WR and I had a shot of a pannier tank along the coaling stage. I remember Oxley was more a collection of withdrawn locos, some LMR 8F's and my one and only ER V2 minus chimney.

A trip to Derby Works was memorable for our coach driver attempting to turn his vehicle around in the backstreets demolishing someones back yard wall with just the merest of touches. Our first ever visit to Birmingham coincided with the extensive rebuilding of New Street station. It was a giant building site, a not insignificant feat keeping it open to the public as work progressed.

The name John Godfrey rings a bell. I believe he joined BR on some sort of scholarship scheme but did return to come on some of the trips.

Roy

Robin Summerhill

Post by Robin Summerhill » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:40 am

the green mile wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 pm

The name John Godfrey rings a bell. I believe he joined BR on some sort of scholarship scheme but did return to come on some of the trips.
I've known John Godfrey for over 50 years.

He became a Rialway Student and ended up in Control, at least in Cardiff and York, and possibly London because he went to live in Hitchin in the late 1970s. (I knew all this at one time but its now a long time ago!)

He took "the handshake" shortly after privatisation and still lives in Hitchin and was alive and well last Christmas when we swopped emailh greetings!

I did mention him on here on the old thread and I think somebody had his email address. He did tell me then that whilst he was happy to hear from people, railway discussion forums were not his thing.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 am

ISTR you mentioning this on the old Forum Robin. A great shame we lost so much material.

Roy