Railways in the News

Robin Summerhill

Re: Railways in the News

Post by Robin Summerhill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:22 pm

As I understand the proposals there is to be a hub interchange at Old Oak Common for HEX to connect into HS2 and Crossrail services.

It was originally intended, once again AIUI, that HS2 was going to link to Heathrow. My own personal view was it being droppped had more political motivation than anything else, because it would cement Heathrow's position as the country's major hub airport. There are a lot of influential people around who think that the whole thing should be closed and moved away from West London, let alone building a third runway.

"Looking forward" to being "stacked" over Biggin Hill when I come back to the UK from Cape Town in March... :roll:

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Now call me naive but I was in favour of the eye wateringly expensive Boris Island out in the Thames estuary as our major airport. Presumably it would have been able to be linked into HS1 and also HS2. 8-)

Roy

railwest

Post by railwest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Would that happen to have been anywhere near the SS Richard Montgomery ? :-)

Robin Summerhill

Post by Robin Summerhill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:35 pm

As someone who only this week totally misread a ridiculously pro-Brexit post on another forum, and couldn't see the irony in it for the red mist, and also as someone who has form for upsetting people on this forum when they took me seriously in posts that were designed to be tongue in cheek, I'm going to be very careful in what I say here :mrgreen:

The individual who proposed building an airport half way to France was clearly so London-focused in his thinking that he completely forgot to look at and/ or fully understand a map of the British Isles.

Contrary to the man's undersrtanding of things, the world does not end at Watford. Putting an airport just beyond the bottom right hand corner of the dry bits of the British Isles would mean that the world and his wife would be clogging up the M25 day and night seven days a week to get to it. It would also mean that all those thousands currently employed at Heathrow, or closely connected to it in some employment way, would either have to move, whacking up house prices in that bottom right hand corner even further, or commute from where they are now, once again clogging up the M25.

So by saving the little dear's sensitive iugholes in Uxbridge and Hounslow from those big nasty planes over tgeir heads, you turn the country's road network into permanent gridlock.

And this is the man who has now managed to con himself into The Big Job. Unusually for me, words fail me - or perhaps I'm just keeping schtum.. ;)

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:27 pm

I was being a bit frivolous as I'm sure such a proposal would bankrupt the country even before we got to the end of the planning stage. I was thinking that we would be unlikely to encounter great crested newts out in the estuary. :D

Now didn't somebody suggest we also build an airport in the Bristol Channel somehow linked with the Severn Barrage scheme? ;)

Roy

railwest

Post by railwest » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:34 pm

>>>I was being a bit frivolous as I'm sure such a proposal would bankrupt the country even before we got to the end of the planning stage......

And not even with mentioning CrossRail, HS2 and the mythical HS3 :-)

Remind me - weren't we supposed to have electric trains running thru' Bath by now ?

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:15 am

Going back to the Joint Local Transport Plan, more smart motorways are a surefire way of reducing traffic in those areas. They are inherently unsafe and I refuse to drive on them! There was a very good Panorama programme on them a week or so ago.

Yes we do have electric trains running through Bath. Unfortunately the extension lead runs out in the Chippenham area so they have to be pushed along by good old fashioned diesel engines.

So the Government has bitten the bullet and thrown in the towel with Northern Rail. Let's hope their long suffering customers don't expect miracles overnight.

Roy

Andy Kirkham

Post by Andy Kirkham » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:29 pm

I always think "raft" is one of the more inane collective nouns, but nevertheless it appears that the proposed enhancements to Temple Meads are being conveyed on such a craft.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ds-3822971

They seem to have got hold of a diagram that will be used as part of a presentation next week, so there are no details at the moment - only what we can deduce from the picture.

The reference to "New Platforms 0/1" seems to suggest that the shelved reopening of the Old Station might actually go ahead; it looks like a new footbridge is proposed, running above the current subway. I think we already knew about the new eastern entrance from the subway into the old cattle market area, but the plan also shows a new southern entrance, south of Bath Bridge, presumably where Quik-Fit is now.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am

Whatever happens in the area has to be an improvement on what has been there for decades now. The whole panorama of what is seen to the south of the station by the rail traveller entering from the east is an absolute eyesore and paints a very poor picture of the city.

I'm pleased to see that there is an acknowledgment of the need for adequate bike storage. It was always an issue when I worked there for various reasons - lack of spaces, theft, riding along the platforms, bikes being chained up to railings and posts, abandoned bikes to name but a few. Clever cyclists who accepted the limited capacity to carry bikes on trains had two. One to ride to their local station and another one locked up at TM for their onward journey to work.

Maybe the Quik-Fit site is on a short lease. At least the planners are starting to think outside of the box. Back in my days at Bath Road this site was occupied by an engineering firm called Welded Tanks. The guys there were very helpful to us when we needed some spacer brackets to enable us to fit miniature snow ploughs to our recently allocated class 37's. They knocked them up to a rough sketch and did the job there and then while we waited. I wonder if they actually sent us the bill as I don't recall ever being asked to sign it off.

Roy

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:27 pm

So the do we/don't we situation with HS2 has swung in favour of 'keep digging'. Lord Heseltine being interviewed on the news this afternoon said that not only does he support the whole project but there should be a further phase taking it on to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Is it hard to argue against that idea?

And the Bristol Airport expansion plans have come up against a significant hurdle in the shape of North Somerset Council. Who is going to win the day if it goes to appeal?

Roy