Platform Lenghts

Ashley Hill

Platform Lenghts

Post by Ashley Hill » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Are GWR/NR reinstating full platform lengths at Parson Street and Bedminster? With the 2+4 HST stoppers only 2 coaches are currently unlocked. I see the shrubbery has been removed from the OOU parts of the platforms,could it be imminent!

the green mile

Re: Platform Lenghts

Post by the green mile » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:13 am

When I was commuting between BTM and Weston SM 2,3 and 4 car formations of Sprinters were the norm. I have to admit that travelling at silly o'clock in the morning going in or coming home off night shifts I was usually examining the backs of my eyelids before Bedminster and Parson Street.

After a certain date in the late noughties when grandfather rights were terminated, it was not permitted to use a formation which could not fit wholly on the platform unless Selective Door Opening was available. I am thinking that with the 2+4 sets the power cars may have to be taken into consideration but that would easily have been remedied with a relevant stop board off the end of the platform, as happens at places like Nailsea, Yatton and Worle for the 2+7 and 2+8 sets.

I will hopefully be meeting up with some old colleagues next weekend so will see if I can extract the true purpose of this work and report back.

Roy

Ashley Hill

Post by Ashley Hill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Clearly these platforms were shortened for economic reasons. I seem to remember it happened in the mid 90s,so perhaps Wessex (or whichever company at the time) did not wish to pay Railtrack for the upkeep of more platform than what they required. The popular Windmill Close entrance at Bedminster was also closed at this time.

the green mile

Post by the green mile » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I am reliably informed that it is to accommodate the 2+4 HST's. I travelled up from Weston on one today and it was still formed with slam door stock in wiggly lines livery.

Roy

Ashley Hill

Post by Ashley Hill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks for replying. Extra lamp posts will be required at both stations and I suppose Tarmac to replace the lifting paving slabs. Not a 5min job but good to hear it may happen.
As the 255s can only use SDO either only 2 coaches or all 4,the guards on 257s must replicate this even though 3 coaches could be opened. Apparently passengers could get confused so it's set as front 2 coaches irrespective of class.

Ashley Hill

Post by Ashley Hill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am

I see that shiny new Do Not Alight Here signs have been erected on the OOU parts of the platforms. So no reinstatement soon then.